Touch MBA | Free School Selection Help | Admissions Edge | About | Podcast

Immigration & Visa Policies for MBAs in Asia


One way I think this forum could be useful to applicants is to ask questions across schools.

To get things started, what is the visa policy for international students in your host country post-graduation? @Francisco @osamwel_m17 @MelinaLoeven @gleela_m17 @benson_cohun

For example, @yuanlee_chung mentioned on an upcoming podcast that MBA graduates in Hong Kong get up to 12-months after graduation to find employment in Hong Kong through an IANG visa. The visa can be used in place of an employment pass and can also be extended. Please correct me if I’m wrong Yuan Lee!


That’s right @darren. The IANG visa is quota-free and non-sector specific, applicable to students of most nationalities who complete a full-time program in Hong Kong. Being able to stay on legitimately for another 12 months was invaluable runway for my classmates and me in finding the best possible opportunity for ourselves post-graduation. See links below for more information:


Also working in Hong Kong, the links @yuanlee_chung provided are correct. The IANG visa provides the graduates with the flexibility to not accept the first offer they get and keep looking until the right job comes.

Companies though would try and convert you into work visas to get you locked in with them and the recommendation is that you do not allow them to do so. Bare in mind though that to renew the IANG visa, you will need to be employed but after renewal which makes it valid for 2-3 years you can stay in Hong Kong until it expires.


Hi all,

let me share the VISA information for students during the course of their MBA program and post-graduation:

International students must hold a Student Pass (STP) - the university will assist with the application and in most cases, the application can be processed on campus.

The student pass will expire upon the completion of your MBA programme. You are required to surrender the student pass to the authorities (ICA = Immigration and Checkpoints Authority) for cancellation within 7 days of the date of graduation, which marks the completion of studies. For more details, please feel free to visit the ICA website or refer to this pdf document:

Upon cancellation of your Student Pass, you can request a Social Visit Pass (SVP) to be issued for you to remain in Singapore. The duration of your SVP is decided by ICA.
Thereafter, if you wish to extend your stay in Singapore to search for a job, you may submit an online application for a one-year (non-renewable) long term social visit pass.

Currently, due to the recent tightening of the economy in SG, there is only a limited number of employment passes issued to foreigners in Singapore. Thus, it has become a bit difficult for overseas MBAs in Singapore to find an employer who can sponsor their employment pass required to work in SG. Student who do not hold an employment pass or have worked in SG before may find it difficult to place themselves because of these beaurocratic issues.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further queries. Thank you and have a great day everyone :slight_smile:


For those interested in working in China post-graduation, you are expected to apply for a work visa which the employer would normally assist you in processing. Thus, if the student visa is still valid, you can apply for the work visa while in China and no need to travel to your home country first.


@osamwel_m17 do you know how long international MBAs can stay in China (after they graduate) to look for jobs?


An interesting FT article i came across today on immigration curbs in the US & EU, with small mention about the comparative situation in Asia: